Friday, June 24, 2011

Menacing Mermaid

Menacing Mermaid Collage
Details

"What horrors dwell beneath the Ocean's murky depths?" There is a great challenge going on at Haunted Design House this week. The Macabre Monday Challenge is to create a menacing mermaid. Do you know hard it is to find a "not cute" mermaid? Not easy my crafting friends! Since I don't have the talent to draw my own, I had to find a menacing face for my mermaid. I googled horror films and there she was, The Bride of Frankenstein played by Elsa Lanchester in the 1935 classic film. Her tail is cut from a magazine advertisement. The sea plants and octopus came from my Flickr Group - Collage Images (not for posting art).

The collage is further embellished with seashell stickers, sequins, a red rhinestone and real sea shells. My mermaid's gauze (tulle) is unfurling and getting twisted around the unsuspecting sea creatures. I hope my mermaid is scary enough to keep you out of the water.

I am also entering my collage into the following challenges:

One Stop Craft Challenge - #136 "stick-it"
Hooked on Craft - #1 "anything goes"
Scrapbook Sisters - #41 - "anything goes"
Paper Crafting Journey - #13 "anything goes"

This collage was so much fun to create. Please check out the artwork prepared on the above sites by talented design team members and all the wonderful submissions.


5 comments:

Creepy Glowbugg said...

This is amazing!!! I LOVE that you used the Bride's face for your mermaid. This is a beautiful collage.
Thanks so much for playing along this week at HDH.

DonnaMundinger said...

VERY creative! Believe me, I KNOW how hard it is to find a menacing mermaid! LOL this is just fabulous and what a gorgeous collage. Thanks for joining our MM challenge at HDH. xxD

tootsie said...

You have done an awesome job with your "menacing mermaid"! Love all the elements you've added! Thank you for entering into our "Anything Goes" challenge over at PCJ. Good Luck!

Hugs,
Wendy

Susan Says (Stupid Stuff) said...

This is fabulous! Great, great collage piece, and yup, most of us had the same problem in finding non-cute mermaid images, I wish I'd thought of creating a collage piece *makes a mental note for the next time Barb comes up with a challenge I have trouble with*
Thanks for playing along with us at HDH this week! :D

Andrea C said...

Hehe this is very creative, excellent work on this challenge x